Reynolds Mansion Greenhouse Restoration

Sapelo Island, Georgia

Owner: Georgia Department of Natural Resources

Architect: Merik Building Construction Consultants

 

Dabbs Williams was recently selected to provide Construction Services for the Restoration of the Historic Reynolds Mansion, located on Georgia’s Sapelo Island.

The original Mansion was designed and built from tabby, a mixture of lime, shells and water, by Thomas Spalding, an architect, statesman and plantation owner who purchased the south end of the island in 1802. After falling into ruin, being damaged by Union Attack during the Civil War, it was purchased and rebuilt by Detroit automotive engineer, Howard Coffin in 1912. Tobacco heir R. J. Reynolds purchased the entire island in 1934 where multiple additions and intricate upgrades were made to the Plantation and remain in place today.

Work on the Mansion is primarily focused on the complete restoration of a custom fabricated ‘Greenhouse’ frame and glass structure, by WM. H. Lutton Glasshouse, New Jersey, NJ, covering the terrazzo floored and gold-inlay indoor pool.

The Mansion is centrally located within the southern exposure of the Barrier Island. With no vehicular access to the island, all materials and preservation crews must rely on barge and ferry access to the Plantation. Restoration will begin in January and will be complete by May 2015.

 

 Reynolds Entrance View Reynolds Interior